This room is IMPORTANT and the directions for this are East, North or corner of North-East of the building’s Ground Floor, make sure that it’s not in the bedroom (should never be used for prayers also). Basement is again a place which should never be used for Puja room.
The best colors for floor are Whites and Light Yellows. The walls can be either of white, light yellow or light blue. The room should be very clean.
The deities ideally should be in the North-East part of the room. An important thing to be taken care of is “the faces of the Idols should never be covered be it, a mala (garland) or Pushp (flowers)”, Gods breath! Idols should not be kept facing each other.
Dia (lamp) should always be in front of the God; the direction to keep the puja samagri is the South-East of the Room.
If you plan to keep a lamp stand or such then place them in the South-East Corner of the room.
Note: When you remove anything like the idols of the God, a photograph etc make sure that you don’t keep them somewhere else in the house, those should be visarjit in a river.
A Puja room is not a storeroom; don’t use it for such purposes. The Cupboards etc must be lesser in height as of the height the deities are placed and can be kept in the South or West Wall. No Toilet should be around the walls (touching) of the room this includes the floor and the ceilings too.
Please do not place any photographs of passed away people in the pooja room. A Broken murti or a torn photograph should not be there in this room.
If you get a mandir made of metal, wood then see that the Top of the mandir is not sharp.
Place light weight idols or pictures of Lord Ganesha AVOID the heavy figures
The doors of the Prayer room should be the manual doors don’t use door closer etc. Do not hand the bell in the prayer room.
There are times when we are left with no option but to use the kitchen as puja room in that case keep the idols in the North-East of the kitchen, facing west.
On the contrary if yours is a big land then get the puja room constructed in the centre of the plot or the home
Some Important Points
- The Homekund / Agnikund should be in the South East and hawan should be done facing East
- Triangular Pattern should not used in placing the Idols.
- The idol should not be exactly in front of the entrance gate.
- If you do the puja for more than 15 minutes do not sit exactly facing the idols. Sit near the western wall facing the east for meditation, avoiding the look of the idol.
- If you have Deities from ancient temples don’t keep them in the Pooja Room
- No part of the worship room separated by a curtain etc. should be used for any other purpose.
- The Puja room should have double doors made of wood
- Don’t keep your money or valuables in the mandir